CCSS Weekly Word Work for Third Grade (and First and Second!)

It's finished!  I don't know if I work like a turtle or what, but this project has seriously been in the works for about six months. I promised it would be ready for the start of the school year and I think I made it just under the wire!

I get lots of questions about how I create my materials for tpt. The answer to that question would require a whole blog post on its own, which is exactly what I'm planning on doing. I actually took pictures of the progress of this pack with that post in mind. I think it's fun to see how things work behind the scenes and it might help some of you all considering branching out to tpt, so be on the lookout for that soon.

Ok, so for the final product. I chose 20 third grade CCSS that were applicable to a pencil/paper word work tasks and arranged them in an easy to read format that spirals in depth throughout the year.  These are the 20 skills that you'll find on the third grade edition of my Common Core Weekly Word Work:

They are presented in the same format week after week, although as the year progresses, the difficulty of each task may change slightly. For example, for the first part of the year, multiple meaning words are addressed like this:

 And later in the year, the same concept is addressed like this:

The 20 questions for each week are spread out over two pages, in this format:

I'm often asked how I use these in my room. Really, there are so many possibilities. I usually start out by introducing a few boxes a day, doing each part together over a week, until my kids understand what is expected in each part. There are certain boxes they can probably tackle independently right away, like alphabetical order, spelling, and phonics. Others may need more instruction and guidance, like multiple meaning words and quotation marks. Once the kids get the hang of these, I usually use them as morning work, homework, or a center. I allow the kids to collaborate and use reference materials, and then we review them together because the point for me is to deepen their under understanding and practice these skills.

 I'm always amazed at how well they start to do on some concepts sometimes months before I actually explicitly teach the skill. They pick up so much just by being continually exposed to it throughout the year, that by the time the formal lesson comes up, they already have a basic understanding. I also love that they are constantly reviewing some of those other skills that we sometimes assume they can breeze though but still get tripped up on, like fact and opinion and reference and research skills.

This pack comes with 36 weeks worth of work (2 pages for each week, just like what you see above) and of course, all answer keys.

I do also have them for second grade, which you can see below and find HERE:
And I also have my first grade friends covered! You can see the first grade version below and find it on tpt HERE. (This one has a slightly different name, but its the same concept)


Each of the sets on tpt include a free week in the preview file, so you can check it out and see how you like it. I've already been asked about a fourth grade version and I really do want to work on that, but it most likely won't be in the very near future. Sorry!

Any questions, just ask! Thanks friends :)




5 comments

  1. Wow! These looks great, Denise. What to get started on a 5th grade version - ha! ;)

    Catherine
    The Brown-Bag Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having used the 2nd grade one last year and also getting a sneak peek of the new 3rd grade one, I can attest to the fact that these are amazing! I already have all of mine copied and ready to go for the whole school year! This made such a HUGE differnece in my class last year! Keep up the good work!!
    good enough teacher

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is wonderful! I'm ready to get the 3rd grade pack, when will it be on TPT?? (If you truly just finished, and need someone to proof, I'm happy to help you with that). Thanks for making the 3rd grade version!!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top